[Salzburg] Salzburg Global Seminar Newsletter: June 2013
 ±Û¾´ÀÌ : root
Á¶È¸ : 8,237  
Support our work ¡í
Follow on TwitterFollow Us On Twitter
Friend on FacebookFriend Us On Facebook
Forward to FriendForward To A Friend

New Chief Development Officer: First Month, First Thoughts

I've now been here just over a month, so it's probably time for me to share my first thoughts and observations, as well as what I am hoping to achieve in my role as Vice President and Chief Development Officer.

First and foremost, I love the energy of the teams in Salzburg and Washington - it's inspiring! And, it makes me want to work as hard as I can to support Salzburg Global Seminar. A special shout out goes to our amazing interns!

Admittedly, some of our internal systems could be better, but I am totally encouraged and "psyched" by the collaboration I see between the senior management team, the program team and the development team.  I think the Board of Directors are incredibly engaged and I hope I can work closely with each of them to build the Salzburg Global brand.

As I settle into my new job, working with Clare and the program team based in Salzburg, I'd like to help our sessions  extend and grow into more in-depth and multi-year programs. In Washington, as well as in Salzburg, I want to strategically deploy our senior management team and Board of Directors to meet with more of our key donors because in my experience, I have only ever received grants from people I know. So one of my key tasks will be to help Salzburg Global expand our donor networks.

It was really hard to leave my old job with the Eurasia Foundation, but I feel like I have been adopted by a new thoughtful, passionate and caring family at Salzburg Global. I'm really excited for the year ahead, working with our trans-Atlantic team, engaging with donors and meeting you - our Fellows. I look forward to meeting you in Salzburg, Washington and whenever I'm on the road!

- George Zarubin, Vice President and Chief Development Officer

Spotlight

A Climate for Change:
New Thinking on Governance for Sustainability

Salzburg Global's session A Climate for Change: New Thinking on Governance for Sustainability took place at Schloss Leopoldskron June 23-27. We hosted a diverse group from across the world, bringing together 51 Fellows, young and long established, from 26 different countries, working in all levels of government, as well as NGOs, businesses and academia.

The session was chaired by returning Fellow, Jim Bacchus, head of the World Economic Forum's Global Agenda Council on Governance for Sustainability and covered a wide range of topics, from the rule of law to the role business school education can play in tackling the "greatest challenge humanity has ever faced": climate change. 

You can see videos from some of our expert speakers on our YouTube Channel, including Kate Raworth on living inside the doughnut, Martin Lees on the need for urgency, and Chandran Nair on why liberal democracy won't save the world. 

Fellowship Exclusive: Salzburg Global Vision

As we told you in our April newsletter, Salzburg Global has been undergoing a strategic review, sharpening our vision and making our case for the future.

Our Annual June Board Weekend (held June 28-30) showcased how we envisage the interlocking three program clusters of Imagination, Sustainability and Justice driving our future programming. We will be bringing you highlights from the event - entitled 'Above Us Only Sky: Finite Planet, Infinite Potential' in the July newsletter, but for the time-being, we're bringing you, our Salzburg Global Fellows, an exclusive look at our new "Salzburg Global Vision" brochure.

In the brochure, we outline our vision of partnerships with other organizations, our architecture of impact, and the futures of our Salzburg Global Network, our Program and our Academies. You can download the PDF of our brochure at www.salzburgglobal.org/go/vision.

Announcements

UPCOMING SESSION
Out of the Shadows: Regulation for the Non-Banking Financial Sector

Salzburg Global is continuing its program on financial regulation this summer with a session entitled 'Out of the Shadows: Regulation for the Non-Banking Financial Sector' at Schloss Leopoldskron from August 19-22, 2013. This is the third session in the Salzburg Forum on Finance in a Changing World series, and will be chaired by Douglas Flint, CEO of HSBC, and Sarah Dahlgren, Head of the Bank Supervision Group, Federal Reserve Bank of New York. A draft agenda and a list of speakers are available on the session web page.

Salzburg Global Fellows receive a 50% discount on the fee, so if you are interested, please register online.

Are you a Rhodes Scholar? Travel grants now available!

We're pleased to announce that we have received a generous grant for travel scholarships for Rhodes Scholars to attend our programs. Application is open to all current Rhodes Scholars and Rhodes Scholar alumni.Please see the Rhodes Trust website for more information

The scholarships awarded are for travel only. However, in cases where financial assistance is necessary, Salzburg Global has limited scholarships available. For further information, please contact our Director of Administration, Cheryl van Emburg

Copyright ¨Ï 2013 Salzburg Global Seminar, All rights reserved. 
You¡¯re receiving this message because you are either a subscriber or have signed up to receive updates from Salzburg Global Seminar. Please be reassured that the Salzburg Global Seminar keeps personal data held by us confidential. Personal data will not be shared with other parties without your consent. If you need assistance, please contact us by clicking info@salzburgglobal.org 

Our mailing address is: 
Salzburg Global Seminar
Leopoldskronstrasse 56-58, Box 129
5010 Salzburg, Austria .
Austria

Add us to your address book
unsubscribe from this list | update subscription preferences